Friday, February 15, 2013

Frame your words with kindness or at least objectivity


Lesson 1:
I began Lent with what I thought was a good plan to give up unnecessary criticism of people. It sounds proper and better than giving up some type of food or beverage item. What I didn’t realize at the time was how ingrained I was to put down people for fun. It’s a terrible revelation to admit, but it’s true.

Now as a teacher, I have to give feedback and prevent misbehavior, but there’s a productive way to do that and a destructive way to go about that.  It’s so easy to be mean, but hard to be thoughtful. What has happened? How did I let myself get pulled into hateful comments just so I could get laughs? I’m not a comedian. And it’s not the best way to joke.

As I take this journey, I want to share some of my insights and probably shortcomings in the hopes of being a kinder, gentler person. My first problem came when I was discussing a former coworker. And I can be vicious about other teachers. And before I knew it, a mean comment came right out of my mouth. How does that happen? I think through practice. As a teacher, I know my students have to practice problems over and over to get it right. And I’ve been practicing bad behaviors and boy, do I know how to get them right. And I’m fast, too. It came out of my mouth before I even had time to think.

I left the situation and went out and prayed. And yes, God spoke to me. “Go and sin no more.” I came back and said something nice about that person. Actually, I just changed the way I said my previous statement. That’s all it took; an attitude adjustment. It was how I said my statement as much as the statement itself. 

Check back for more insights as I work through Lent 2013.
And thanks for checking me out!

No comments:

Post a Comment