Saturday, March 14, 2015

Designer Genes

As I was "researching" on the computer today I ran across a few obituaries. Of the three, two I'd never met and one person I shared a quick visit. All these people were my relatives. And I sit here dumbstruck. The lady I met who is now gone actually married into my family. The other two men share some DNA with me. And I never met them.

As I sit and ponder this I realize I must be different. I dig long and hard into genealogy. I find it fascinating. When I see old photos I gain insight into how these people acted, felt, lived. I don't have a big family. I've got one aunt, one uncle and two cousins. I have a brother and a sister and two sons, but sometimes it seems small. My grandma was an only child.
This photo is my Grandma as a child with her mother. As I look at it, I wonder where they are. I can assume somewhere in my Grandma's hometown. Why did they stop? Who took the photo?

I feel that because I have a small family, any loss is hard. I suppose what I'm trying to say is appreciate the people you love now. Let them know you love them.  Sometimes they may be hard to deal with, annoying or maybe down right crazy. Not that I have any crazy relatives. Just keep in mind that they won't be around forever. Life is precious and no one knows when a loved one will leave this earthly body. And while I still have you thinking. You are thinking, right? Get some genealogy information from them. There will come a day when you will wonder about the people who contributed their genes to you.
 Below is my brother and me.
In case you didn't know, you share more genes with your siblings than any other person on earth.
#genealogy #family

1 comment:

  1. Great article! Perhaps people will remember to actually talk with their relatives instead of performing the brain dead act of 24/7 texting, that has enveloped this country.

    ReplyDelete