Monday, March 16, 2015

That's My Job


I just read a Huff Post Education blog called "12 Things Teachers Think But Can't Always say to Parents". I'll admit it's a little on the touchy-feely side. You can see for yourself here.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/matthew-dicks/12-things-teachers-think-_b_6876080.html


The comments following the blog are more interesting in my humble opinion. Many are cynical and a few are sugar sweet. I'll be honest, I didn't start teaching at the junior high level to be a sweetheart. I put my time in as a substitute in lower elementary and it's crazy hard. I came home exhausted, but still needing to deal with my own young sons.

The first item mentioned talks about loving your child a little lower than my own child. The cynic says no way. I say there are a few exceptions and they aren't who you think they are. Some kid may act in a way that reminds me of my son. Some girls remind me of myself when I was their age. It's called relating. It's necessary for a teacher.

The second item talks about missing every child. There are many former students that I miss. But in all honesty, it's short lived. That's why I go to work each day. It's called work for a reason. I have more students to think about and worry about each year. I have over 100 students a year! I have found it harder now that we do a modified looping system and I may have students for seventh and eighth grade. I find myself wondering what they will do when they graduate. And I do listen when they say they want to be a veterinarian, doctor, etc.

Another comment deals with coming to me first if there is a problem. Life would be so much easier if parents would do this. If I did something stupid, say something to me. I so dread the visit to the principal's office to hear it. Most of the time I didn't even realize what I did. If you would have shot me an email, I could have handled it without involving the principal, who could be dealing with something more serious.

Yes, there are times when legally I can't say something to you. I'm not supposed to mention other students by name. There are weird legal things that we have to implement every year. You talk to your child, you know and I know, but all I can do is possibly nod my head. Just realize I can't talk about other students with you.

Parents have their kids for a lifetime. I have them 48 minutes a day for 180 days. I care about their academics, extra curricular activities, their career choices and even the drama in their lives. Some I'll remember forever because they made some odd impact on me. But when it comes down to it, I'm here to make sure they can pass the state mandated test. I'll do everything I possibly can to do my job, because that's what I'm supposed to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment